Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mind the Culture Gap


I'm in the heart of the rowing spring season with a major regatta yesterday and two more in the next two weeks. So moth sailing is still on the back burner. Anyway, at the regatta yesterday the Local Organizing Committee (rowing's equivalent of the race committee) was selling some t-shirts to promote the league and to raise some funds. And like the "No Fear of Flying" t-shirts, most folks, and certainly all of the kids, never got the relevant reference. I know I'm getting old when half my parents couldn't place the iconic image ("I don't get it, the guys are carrying the boat while wearing suits...")

So I'm one of the old guys. I'm wondering how far off the pace physically I am. To find out, I've included a poll on general fitness. If you did as many push ups as you could, and as many pull ups as you could, and added the totals, what number would you come up with? I'm at around 15. Old. And decrepit.



Come Together (Lennon/McCartney) 1969

Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
He say "I know you, you know me"
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
Come together right now over me

He bag production he got walrus gumboot
He got Ono sideboard he one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knee
Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease
Come together right now over me

He roller-coaster he got early warning
He got muddy water he one mojo filter
He say "One and one and one is three"
Got to be good-looking 'cause he's so hard to see
Come together right now over me


The Abbey Road album cover....

No comments: