Wednesday, September 24, 2008

'08 Classic Moth Nationals


This past weekend I raced in the National Championship regatta for the Classic Moths (1965 rules.) This was the 20th consecutive year that the racing was held in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, the "Home of the Mothboat." We had about 20 competitors including Jeff Linton, from Tampa, Florida, sailing his original "Mousetrap" design. Jeff is a very accomplished sailor, winner of multiple world championships in a variety of classes, and was named the 2007 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year. I finished second behind Jeff (in the racing, not in the balloting for RYotY). The weather was breezy (10-20) and shifty for both days, conditions that I usually enjoy.

Just as exciting as the racing was the foiler demo. I raced my wife's classic shelly Aftermath, but I also brought the foiler down to show it off. It was, in fact, at this regatta a year ago that I first hopped aboard Bill's boat and was bitten by the bug. So, I had brought Try-Foil hoping to spread the joy of foiling. The only taker was Jeff, who gave it a go after Saturday's racing.



The video above, shot by Amy Linton, shows Jeff's second or third run. Wind was about 10-12 and he seems to wrestle with weight placement and trim before finally getting my boat to launch. It's obvious by the dialogue at the end that Amy is having a ball watching, and it's also obvious from the video that my wand isn't set properly. I know the boat shouldn't be jumping out in these conditions.

Things have been hectic at work so I may not get back on the water until the racing in NY over Columbus Day weekend. Stay tuned.

No comments: