Friday, January 1, 2010
The Conversion, Part 1
Below are some pics of today's work. The plan is to have Susan's boat easily convertible from low-rider classic mode to foiler mode, simply by bolting on various bits. The stern normally carries a standard rudder on two pintles. By removing the lower pintle and bolting on an angled bracket, the tension rod of the gantry can be fitted. There will be two brackets screwed onto the deck to accept the two upper struts of the gantry. (I removed the aft deck to lay in some carbon supports under the new deck. The brackets will screw through the deck into these new supports.)
To accommodate the centerboard I needed to figure a way to structurally support the mainfoil which carries the weight of the entire boat and skipper. Additionally, since I didn't know exactly the angle of the forward cant, the mechanism needed to be adjustable fore and aft (on the top end - the bottom end will be fixed.) Lastly, I couldn't restrict the standard well opening since Susan likes sailing with her standard daggerboard. My solution is to fit four lifting straps just outside the daggerboard well. I cut some holes in the deck and slid the straps (made of some uni and +/- 45 carbon) through the slots. The straps are fastened to the outside of the daggerboard well with some carbon. To ensure the spacing and hole alignment stays correct during installation, I fitted a pine block that will be removed after everything kicks.
Things are under a heated tent for the night. Tomorrow's temps are expected to stay below freezing and my garage doesn't have any heat in it. Still yet to come are the bottom hull fitting, the wand pivot and the tube through the foredeck. It may not be until next week before I can get to those, so stay tuned.