Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hindsight is 20/20

I'm still beating myself up over the shipping costs to get the boat to Weymouth and back home - $4447.47 - and that doesn't include the cost of lumber, glue, fasteners, etc. to build the crate. What's even more discouraging is that today I got a quote for a set of blades and foils from Amac - AU$3964.50 or about US$3400. So for a thousand dollars less I could have a professional set of foils and blades from one of the fastest sailors in the world AND I could have avoided the frustration of waiting in miserable Portland, with its concrete and continuous piledriving, for five days looking at over 25 knots on the the wind gauge....

Of course, as the title of the post indicates, hindsight is 20/20. So, yeah, knowing what I know now I wish I could unwind the past two months and write a check today to KA Sail Australia and wait contentedly for a top-of-the-line foil set. As it it is and will be for the next few months, I'll be liquidating some assets (will my beloved Miata have to go???) and scraping together enough to pay the SEKO debt and hopefully find enough left over to get an AMAC foil set. Stay tuned...

No comments: