Thursday, August 28, 2008

How Many Degrees of Freedom?

Still trying to get the wand/cable/rod/flap system to produce maximum control and minimum drag. I read, I think it was from Gui, that the Bladerider main foil flap has a range of about nine degrees. Nine degrees?!? If that's the case (maybe a BR owner could actually measure the angular travel) I'm wondering how can the negative lift be so effective? Obviously the positive lift can be controlled with overall angle of attack, and once set perhaps a few degrees down and a few degrees up (5?) would be sufficient to keep the boat from jumping out of the water.

I've running with about 35 degrees total from max down (wand aft) to max up (wand forward with bell crank at maximum forward rotation. Maybe I've got way too much flap rotation...or not enough overall angle of attack, or a foil with a whole lot more drag than the BR, or...

I'm obviously still in the chaotic orbit of try, check, try, check, try, check. The next chance to sail the boat is Saturday at the Norfolk Yacht and CC Labor Day regatta. Here's hoping for breeze enough not to wallow. I'd really like to wow the juniors (heck, they get a kick out of seeing the classic moths bang around.)

5 comments:

Teknologika said...

Joe,

The bladerider front foil setup template http://www.bladerider.com.au/support/front_foil_template.pdf shows how much travel they have designed into their foil.

Regards,

Bruce

Joe Bousquet said...

Thanks, Bruce. So it's +-8 degrees, for a total of 18. Still way less than what I'm generating. I guess it time to reduc eteh gain by moving my forward cable attachment closer to the wand pivot.

The template is useful, thanks.

Doug Culnane said...

The BR flat is relatively a large part of the overall foil area. So maybe this is a factor why it is effective with less movement.

I got my fastacraft main foil working nice by changing the phase of the system. IE. the flat stay fully down till the boat is out the ware then it moves more and more as you get higher. Max flap up is when the want is vertical. This means the pivot is slightly aft of the (straight) wand when the want is vertical.

Doug Culnane said...

Sorry about the bad spelling. I hope it makes sense.

Joe Bousquet said...

re: Bad spelling - it get really bad when your eyesight starts to deteriorate and your typing fingers can't hit the right keys. Been there done that (actually, am there and still doing that) ...
need to remember to "preview" before hitting "submit." :)