Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gantry revolution, evolution or retroversion?


Some thoughts about the rendering of the Mach 2 gantry: Amac seems to have abandoned the molded panel approach that he used on the Bladerider and has gone back to tubes as used on the Prowler, albeit with a small fairing around the bottom tube. Weight and cost were probably considerations, but possibly he saw my minimal fairing and thought “Joe’s a genius!”

All kidding aside, why the retroversion? Since the Mach 2’s hull is cut away to angle the ‘transom,’ as it is, forward, any paneled gantry would necessarily be significantly larger and thus heavier (though still lighter than the hull sections it would replace.) Here’s my guess: I think that the visual profile from abeam had a lot to do with the decision. With a paneled gantry the cutaway look of the Mach 2’s stern would not be evident when photographed from afar and might be mistaken for a BR. The tubular gantry highlights the gap between rudder and deck, making the distinctive stern all the more noticeable. Additionally, the slight fairing and forward canted rudder easily distinguish the Mach 2’s tubular gantry from the Prowler4 gantry. Anybody else have a guess?

Another point mentioned on the Mach 2 website is the lack of a rudder box to “minimize play and reduce complexity.” In my mind that means the tiller is fixed to the rudder. While there may be fewer pieces, I’m trying to figure out how the three mutually perpendicular lengths (tiller, rudder, foil) can easily be transported. Add the hiking stick on and it seems to be quite a gangly contraption. I’m all for reducing slop, but am at a loss to see the benefit of no rudder box. Any ideas?

As you may have noticed, I’ll be adding bits of music with each post. Feel free to click the “pause” icon if you don’t want to draw attention at work ;-)



Boats to Build, Lyrics by Guy Clark
Sung by Jimmy Buffett and Alan Jackson

It's time for a change
I'm tired of that same ol same
The same ol words the same ol lines
The same ol tricks and the same ol rhymes

Days precious days
Roll in and out like waves
I got boards to bend I got planks to nail
I got charts to make I got seas to sail

I'm gonna build me a boat
With these two hands
She’ll be a fair curve
From a noble plan
Let the chips fall where they will
Cause I've got boats to build

Sails are just like wings
The wind can make em sing
Songs of life songs of hope
Songs to keep your dreams afloat

I'm gonna build me a boat
With these two hands
She’ll be a fair curve
From a noble plan
Let the chips fall where they will
Cause I've got boats to build

Shores distant shores
There’s where I'm headed for
I got the stars to guide my way
Sail into the light of day

I'm gonna build me a boat
With these two hands
She’ll be a fair curve
From a noble plan
Let the chips fall where they will
Cause I've got boats to build

1 comment:

G said...

I suggest you swing your keyboard 7 times above your head before blogging. I had a similar advise from my mother in my younger days (turn your tongue 7 times before speaking), a bit of a selffrenchkiss.
The idea was to use your brain while turning your tongue. Of course, I could never do that, instead, I'd forget what I was going to say, which usually turned out to be a good thing.

So ... With luck, you may forget what you were going to blog about! That, or you might find the few missing neurones and solve that rudder conundrum!!!!

;p

Gui